Thursday, October 23, 2008

Electricity, Pickles and You!

"Lord... please bless those teachers that cancel class!" :)

Yeah... yeah... I notice that its like 7:30 in the morning, but when you have to pick up a child at 5 in the morning, you tend to go to sleep at night at like 8! So im good on sleep!

So as I took a look at my blog I noticed that I really needed to update this thing. IM ENGAGED! Just thought that I would throw that in there.

I thought that I would clarify why on most things (like myspace and facebook) you will see that my username is picklegurl77. You may think- pickle? She must really like pickles? Well, on the contrary.... I ask for no onions and no pickles on almost everything that I order! So why would it say pickle? Well this goes waaaaaay back to my sophomore year in high school when I was attending wed night youth group at Hillcrest Church in Newton with my friends. The youth pastor gave us a message of this lonely cucumber. Here is a visual! Well... there was really two messages, I will quickly explain the first one. How is a pickle made? First you have to submerge a cucumber in vinigar (I think) and after a period, it will emerge as a pickle! The same is when we get baptised. All of you sins and "dirt" and "grime" are washed away and you are soaked in with the holy spirit and reamerged as a new person! A PICKLE! Yummy..... The second portion of the sermon was talking about God's electricy and how you can let is flow through you. He as well gave the example of a cucumber and a pickle. He did a simple demonstration with a battery pack, some wire, a cucumber, and a metal fork. He wrapped the wire around the fork and then stuck it into the cucumber. He said "watch....." as he connected it to the battery pack we were all in anticipation of something happeneing..... and nothing did. Confused? Yeah, so were we? What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Well he went on to mention- "Cucumbers do not have the power to transform electricity (think back to what I mentioned previously that people who were not baptised are cucumbers). When the HolySpirit came, Jesus promised his disciples what? Right, power! The HolySpirit would bring power from on high; the power of God to transform the livesof ordinary, everyday people like you and like me. Now watch this" He did the same thing, except this time he stuck the fork in a pickle. Now I vividly remember turning to my friend saying..... oh my! he is going to electricute himself! You know... becuase pickles are wet? Well... to my surprise, when he conected the wire to the battery, THE PICKLE LIT UP! Im not joking! You should SO try this at home! :) "Look at that, a brilliantly glowing pickle! Isnt that one of the coolest things you've ever seen? I want you to remember the Electric Pickle, the gloriously glowing condiment. If God can do that with simple electricity flowing through a cucumber, how much more can He do with the power of His Spirit flowing through you? For you, friends, are much more than a pickle." I looked online and I found a picture of what you could've seen if you were there!
I am reminded every day that everything I do in life, I do to glorify God. No to make anyone "happy" or glorify myself. Everything that I have, is God's. If I would die tomorrow, I would not take anything with me! Although I sometimes wonder what we wear- clothing wise- when we do face judgement, will we be naked or will we wear what we were wearing when we died? Hummm.... The Lord has show me alot of things these past few months that I know I need to work on, and Lord, im trying! Lord, i'm trying to hear what your saying and trying to hear what you want me to do.

There is something that has been weighing heavy on my heart since Jim came back from Africa. I talked with him the other weekend about his trip and he asked the question...." You should really consider going! God knows your passion for children and I think that you could really make a difference with those kids" Oh my.... what do you do with that? Soome telling you that you should go half way around the world to minister to kids. Humm.... God, you know that if it is your will... I will listen!

Something else that is weighing heavy is the death of a friend. Ronnie Schmidt. Ronnie died in action on August 2, 2008 in Iraq. Although it was too short of notice to get off work, I did ask one of my friends to send me pictures of the funeral- and his funeral was a true tribute!

This picture was taken before he left for Iraq

This is Ronnie's body arriving in Wichita

Ronnie being carried to Grace Community Church
As you can imagine this is the patriot guard on the way to the grave site



After seeing Ronnie's mom in WalMart last time I was home. I decide to email her and talk with her about how she was doing. Although she was a little distraut I called and prayed with her. She said that there was alot of support for that first few weeks, but she said that she feels everyone has left her. I told her that God will never leave you and he knows the pain that you are feeling. She sent me these pictures from his platoon in Iraq. (They are home now. My friend Colt just cam home this past weekend... Ronnie was in this plattoon as well!)
A salute to the fallen soldier

We love you Ronnie and we will never forget what you did. You will always remind us that freedom is not free. Please remember to pray for our troops continuously!
*For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16*


No comments: